I've decided to fire this old thing up again, in an attempt to cure my bout of writer's block (which is really a pain in the arse when I'm supposed to have written 12,000 by next week and I've wrote... none).
So better late than never, my review of 2009. I wrote this out over Xmas but never got round to posting it because I forgot my password. Let's see if I remember how this works...
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Visited Edinburgh. Can't think of anything else. Crap year.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did try and start the Project365 thing, where you take a photo everyday, and got up to March 22 This year: only go near men born in the 1970s.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I think Dani and Nicky both had their babies this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Dave, my aunt's partner.
5. What countries did you visit?
Scotland, in January. I miss France.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
SOLAR PANELS - still! Or just a working boat with good supply of electricity.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My dad turned 70 this year in September.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting put through the boatmaster training course. Couple of 70+ marks at uni that I didn't earn or deserve at all.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Politics exam, sat there for three hours writing nothing. Scraped through with the lowest grade possible cos my coursework was pretty good.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just a few colds, which I always shrug off after 24 hours cos I'm hardcore.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Everything big thing I bought broke either within 24 hours or one week: car, phone, netbook. But I did buy a custom-built stove for my boat which is keeping me toasty warm this winter. Oh and a headlamp. Invaluable.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Boater neighbours, Dave, Matt, Anita. Aidan and all the lovely peeps who signed up to SAAR at Freshers Fair.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Freaky guy on a plastic boat who stalked me for a little while in the summer, president of Lancaster Student Union.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Freshers Fair when we signed up over 100 people to Student Assembly Against Racism. Meeting Eddie Izzard.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Epic by Faith No More, if it didn't already remind me of 1996 much more.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Sadder, had a stressful couple of months.
b) thinner or fatter? So much fatter, diet time.
c) richer or poorer? Way poorer. Boat repairs, a new car and five days later £225 on a new clutch.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Knitting, reading, travelling.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Looking at engines and hoping the problem would fix itself magically, wearing a shirt and tie for work, stumbling around by candlelight, staying on campus all fucking night trying to write essays that were already late.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Parents, dog, aunt Joan and my cousin Stephen.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
22. What was your favourite TV program?
Thick of It, although I only got to watch about 3 episodes. When I grow up I want to be Malcolm Tucker.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
The weird stalker guy, he needs to drown in the cut.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Godfather by Mario Puzo.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
My job working on the trip boat on the canal.
29. What did you want and not get?
Extensions on my essays. Not arsed about grades, but my life takes priority over arbitrary academic rules, cocksuckers.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Went to see Avatar, plot was crap but it was brilliant to watch (in 3D!)
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Christ, I was 30. Went for drinks with Nat, Caz and Adrian.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Some electricity in November and December.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Still wearing the hiking boots. Been a big biff this year.
34. What kept you sane?
Dave – had a knack of being in the right place at the right time with a glass of plum gin.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Mike Patton from Faith No More.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The European elections and Nick Griffin on Question Time.
37. Who did you miss?
The people from Lancaster who left, never to return, in the summer.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Dave, a legend!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Kleenex Balsam tissues are great for starting fires.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
Eeeeeeleeeeectricity – Captain Beefheart.