Sailed my boat single handledly about 300 miles through over 100 locks. Actually started university after applying 4 times in my life. Drove a telehandler. Rode a horse. Learnt to fish but never caught anything.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn't make any, but this year I've managed to achieve a lot of things I've been meaning to do for a long time. Next year: same as all the rest. Plans are for pussies!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Just France, Toulouse area and Paris. Going to Scotland on Wednesday.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A solar panel.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Day I bought the boat, day I started uni.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Applying to university and actually going. The voyage.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The first two essays I did for uni. Haven't had them back yet but they're shit.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I think I'm the only person I know not to get the lurgy in the first term. I sprained my foot pretty badly somewhere near Stoke on Trent and had to hop through a lot of locks.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My boat. Undoubtedly. Best thing I've bought in my life ever. And cupcakes from Lancaster Market.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
People I've met at uni who've restored my faith in the younger generation (I still include myself in that...). Nat, Dan and the Labour Club people. People who are actually prepared to do something about what they believe in and freeze to death in the process. Mick Wilson.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
This title belongs to Golden Tony.
14. Where did most of your money go?
On 33ft of steel. Spar breakfast bagels. Wine.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Crossing the Ribble Link in a fear way. Working on the Creepy Crawly Roadshow and getting to pick up the big spider. Seeing Tony Benn give a lecture.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"I like you so much better when you're naked". Sang along to this loudly on many a deserted stretch of canal.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier. It's been a good two years.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. Student diet. But it's all good, saves money on heating.
c) richer or poorer? All my cash is invested in my beautiful hunk of steel, but have to say student grants and loans have been very kind to me.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Going out in the first six months of the year.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Timewasting on facebook. Locking myself out, kicking the door in, repairing the door.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Just with my parents and the dog.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
My relationship with my boat is the most meaningful I've ever had in my life ;)
22. What was your favourite TV program?
Top Gear (so shoot me).
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. Full of good karma these days. Not spending much time in Liverpool helps.
24. What was the best book you read?
Le Petit Prince. If I'd read that as a kid I think I wouldn't have grown up to be the cynical curmudgeon I am today.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
Did I mention I bought a boat? A FUCKING BOAT!
29. What did you want and not get?
A job in Toulouse, but it's just as well.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
Juno. Cried my leg off at the end.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I think this year I spent it with Simon and sulked a lot. It snowed. I was 29.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A wood burning stove. Turns out butane gas only works when its warm, what's the point in that?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
I have been rocking a pair of Karrimor hiking boots all the bloody time. Even on the dancefloor. Since I nearly slipped into a lock I refused to wear anything without a sensible sole.
34. What kept you sane?
Knitting, radio 4, looking out my window to see ducks, swans, fish, the occasional otter.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Tom Gabel from Against Me.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The American election and the wankfest of campaigns. The Mumbai hotel attacks.
37. Who did you miss?
Maria and her kids.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Still meeting new people all the time... and that's the best thing ever.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007:
I learnt how to eradicate jealousy, ambition, competitiveness and insecurity from my life and I've never been happier. All you have to do is live on a boat...
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
Baby, I'm an anarchist.